2013 BULFINCH AWARDS
The New England Chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art is pleased to announce its fourth annual Bulfinch Awards. The award is named for Charles Bulfinch, America’s first native-born architect, and designer of the Massachusetts State House. The award recognizes the best work of individuals who contribute to the creation of classical and traditional architecture in New England.
Individuals and firms with addresses within the six New England states: Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut (with the exception of Fairfield County, which falls under the chapter jurisdiction of the New York organization); submitted projects must also be geographically located within the same six states, also with the exception of Fairfield County, Connecticut. Built projects must have been completed within the past ten years (July 2003 on).
• Residential (Restoration, Renovation, or Addition) over 5,000 SF
• Residential (Restoration, Renovation, or Addition) under 5,000 SF
• Residential (New Construction) over 5,000 SF
• Residential (New Construction) under 5,000 SF
• Interior Design
• Landscape Architecture
• Craftsmanship/ Artisanship: This category is intended for individuals and companies that work in the allied arts (i.e. iron work, woodwork, plaster, masonry, sculptor, decorative painting, etc.)
Firms/individuals may submit up to three separate entries for consideration.
Each entry must include three parts:
I. Three (3) copies of an 8½” x 11” portfolio, with the following:
• Completed Entry Form (In a sealed envelope marked with the project name).
• The portfolio should have the name of the project, as well as the category of entry, clearly marked on the cover or title page.
• Brief narrative (no more than 500 words) summarizing the principal aspects of the submitted project to convey its significance to the Awards jury.
• For built projects, photographs along with captioned plan(s), elevation(s) and detail(s) and/or section drawing(s), as necessary to thoroughly describe the project.
The name of the firm or individual submitting the project must not appear in the portfolio itself.
Portfolios should be mailed to:
Bulfinch Awards 2013 – ICAA Southeast
c/o Historical Concepts
490 Brasfield Square
Atlanta, GA 30316
II. The following information must be emailed to the address below:
Please put the phrase “OFFICIAL ENTRY” and your firm name in the email subject line.
• A PDF of the entry form. Download entry form here.
• The “brief narrative” describing the project (included in the portfolio from Part I).
• Five (5) High Resolution images of the project (preferably photography and drawings).
III. A fee of $40.00 (per entry). Checks should be made payable to the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art.
Checks should be mailed to:
Bulfinch Awards 2013
C/O Steven Spandle
Judge Skelton Smith Architects
16 Joy Street, Suite H
Boston, MA 02114
Deadline Extension – All entries must be received no later than July 8, 2013.
All submittal-related questions should be directed to the chair of the Bulfinch Awards Committee, Steven Spandle.