The ICAA Workshops introduce students pursuing professional studies in architecture and allied fields to the vitality of the classical tradition in contemporary architectural design. Workshops are held both in-person and online. All Workshops provide credit towards the ICAA's Certificate in Classical Architecture.
In-person programs are hosted at schools in collaboration with a university partner and often with a local Chapter of the ICAA. Many of the in-person Workshops are also open to regional practitioners. The program is taught by practicing architects, providing opportunity for students to engage a wealth of professional experience. Students complete a drawing of a classical order and a measured drawing of an architectural element at an historic building. Each workshop includes presentations and directed drawing exercises focused on:
- Architectural Literacy: Introduction to the grammar of the classical language and underlying principles of composition and building
- Study of Precedents: Measured drawing as a means of learning from buildings to inspire new design solutions
- Application in Practice: Presentations by architects who draw upon enduring models of architecture and urbanism in the design of new buildings and places, demonstrating the relevancy of classical architecture to students’ own worlds and future designs
Online programs are typically hosted in collaboration with a university partner, but the ICAA also offers online Open Access Workshops, which are open to current university students from any school. Online programs are typically available only to current university students. Online Workshops open with an overview and presentation on the relevance and practice of classical architecture today. Then, students complete a drawing of a classical order as well as an application exercise demonstrating how the orders can be used in a composition. Online Workshops are hosted via Zoom, and students work directly with instructors in small groups, culminating in a virtual pin-up and discussion of everyone’s work.
Recent Workshops and How to Host a Program
Workshops vary between one full day to two half days, and are adaptable for large groups as well as for individual design studios and classes. The ICAA works with the host institution in customizing the program schedule.
To learn more about the ICAA Workshops in Classical Architecture or how to bring the program to your institution, contact [email protected] or call 212-760-9646 ext. 112.
Recent programs have been hosted in collaboration with:
- University of Texas Arlington, College of Architecture, Planning, and Public Affairs
- Hampton University, Department of Architecture
- Mississippi State University, School of Architecture
- Georgia Tech, School of Architecture
- Ball State University, School of Architecture
- University of Miami, School of Architecture
- University of Colorado Denver, College of Architecture and Planning
- The College of Charleston & The American College of the Building Arts
- Texas Christian University, Department of Interior Design & Fashion Merchandising
- Oklahoma State University, School of Architecture
- Savannah College of Art and Design, School of Building Arts